DIY Butterfly Activity
For this week’s DIY, we switched up all the snack making for some fun arts and crafts. Check out our sped-up video of how we made them and then follow the instructions below for your own creation.
You will need:
- 2 coffee filters
- Washable markers (Mr. Sketch or Crayola)
- An eye dropper or small measuring spoon
- 1 pipe cleaner (12″ long)
- Place two coffee filters on top of each other on a cookie sheet to keep the mess contained.
- Flatten out the coffee filters a little (enough that you can color on them).
- Get creative with your designs on the coffee filters and color away.
- Take an eyedropper or small measuring spoon and drip water onto the marker until the coffee filter is completely wet.
- Place your baking sheets outside in the sun to dry.
- Once they are dry, pull the two coffee filters apart & fold each one back and forth, accordion-style, in about 1/2″ folds.
- Put the two folded strips on top of each other.
- Twist a pipe cleaner around the middle so that the two ends point upwards in a big letter “V”. Trim the ends to make them even if you need to.
- Pinch the end of each pipe cleaner and curl it outwards to make a small spiral.
- Pull apart the folds in the coffee filter to open them up and shape your butterfly.